Advance passenger information
US APIS stands for the United States Advance Passenger and Crew Information System. As requested by US regulation, airlines are required to submit complete and accurate advance passenger (crew) information (API), on or after 04 October 2005. Submission of the data will facilitate effective customs and immigration security enforcement.
According US APIS regulation the following information is required:
- Full name (last, first, and, if available, middle).
- Date of birth.
- Gender (e.g. F - female, or M - male).
- Country of residence.
- Travel document type (e.g. P - passport, or A - alien registration).
- Passport number, if the passport is required.
- Passport country of issuance, if the passport is required.
- Passport expiration date, if the passport is required.
- Alien registration number (US applied), where applicable.
- Address while in US (number and street, city, state, and zip code), except that this information is not required for U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents, crew members, or persons who are in transit to a location outside the US.
When the advance passenger information is required
Travel agents should input advance passenger information (API) well advance before flight departs when itinerary involves flights arrival in and departure from US. Cathay Pacific Airways prefers agents to input non-segment associated API, where applicable.
Below are the Cathay Pacific Airways and its codeshare destinations:
|Fort Lauderdale, FL||FLL|
|Las Vegas, NV||LAS|
|Los Angeles, CA||LAX|
|San Francisco, CA||SFO|
|New Orleans, LA||MSY|
|New York, NY||NYC|
|San Diego, CA||SAN|
|San Jose, CA||SJC|
|San Juan, Puerto Rico||SJU|
|St. Louis, MO||STL|
It is anticipated that there will be more countries requesting API information so travel agents should fully apply API entries in daily operation.
What to do when the API is not fully available
During reservation, travel agents are required to provide as much information as available to avoid similar data collection process to be repeated during passenger check-in at airport, causing passenger inconvenience unnecessarily.
How to input API data
Industry format SSR DOCS / DOCO / DOCA are required to input API information so airlines can transmit to US automatically, refer IATA standards.
SSR OTHS is not accepted.
Cathay Pacific Airways supports both SSR DOCS, DOCO, DOCA and SSR PSPT for non-US flights. However, SSR DOCS, DOCO, DOCA must be used for itinerary involving US flights to provide sufficient information.